Travellers from mainland Portugal to England will have to quarantine from 04:00 BST on Saturday, simply weeks after the nation was placed on the protected listing.
Wales and Scotland had already imposed the necessary two weeks of self-isolation earlier this month.
Quarantine-free journey remains to be allowed from the Portuguese islands, the Azores and Madeira.
Meanwhile, Sweden has been made exempt from quarantine for Wales, England and Scotland.
People travelling to England, Wales and Scotland from Hungary and Reunion may even be required to self-isolate, whereas England is moreover requiring arrivals from French Polynesia to quarantine.
Hungary has a seven-day fee of 31.6 infections per 100,000 individuals and French Polynesia’s fee is 71.3.
Portugal, one of many UK’s hottest vacation locations, was given an exemption from UK quarantine guidelines as lately as 22 August.
But since then the an infection stage has been rising. It now has 28.Three infections per 100,000 individuals, above the brink of 20 per 100,000 individuals which the UK usually makes use of for including international locations to the quarantine listing.
Portugal expressed “remorse” over the quarantine choice for the mainland, however stated it valued the continued inclusion of the Azores and Madeira on the protected “journey hall” listing.
It comes because the UK’s confirmed coronavirus circumstances rose by one other 2,919, the fifth consecutive day that the determine has been greater than 2,000. Another 14 deaths had been reported inside 28 days of a constructive check.
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps stated that due to “enhanced information” the federal government was capable of assess the an infection charges of islands separate to their mainland international locations.
On Wednesday, quarantine requirements were also imposed on seven Greek islands, the primary time that totally different self-isolation guidelines had been utilized to the mainland of a rustic and its islands.
Mr Shapps additionally burdened that travellers should fill out the Passenger Locator Form on arrival to the UK, a day after the prime minister stated enforcement of this a part of the quarantine guidelines could be stepped up.
“It is a legal offence to not full the shape and spot checks can be happening,” Mr Shapps stated.
Figures present that just about 2m spot checks have been carried out to make sure travellers have stuffed out the shape, and calls and textual content messages had been made to 136,500 individuals to examine they had been quarantining.
Successful contact, the place the traveller has been spoken to or responded to a textual content, was made 66,773 occasions with 64,800 individuals confirming they had been self-isolating. Just 34 fines have been issued.
Travel trade physique Abta, together with the chief executives of airways similar to easyJet, Ryanair and British Airways, is looking on the federal government to introduce testing on arrival at airports and to vary quarantine coverage so mainland areas might be handled otherwise.
“Every nation, mainland or island that’s taken off the federal government’s journey listing lessens the flexibility of journey companies to function and will increase the need for the federal government to offer tailor-made trade help,” stated an Abta spokesman.
Rory Boland, editor of Which? Travel, stated holidaymakers had been now “extra acutely conscious” of the dangers of journey overseas, however stated the “last-minute” choices meant many missed out on refunds or had been “extorted” with extra airfares in the event that they tried to hurry residence.
“It’s apparent that the present journey hall system will not be working for passengers, and changing into fully detrimental to the already dwindling belief within the sector,” he stated.
Sweden adopted a lighter-touch technique for coping with the pandemic in contrast with most different European international locations, deciding to not institute a widespread lockdown, and setting up comparatively few restrictions.
This was primarily based partly on the concept of letting Covid-19 sweep by the inhabitants creating so-called herd immunity. Such an strategy was thought-about however then deserted within the UK.
Research revealed in August urged exposure to coronavirus was similar in Stockholm and London, primarily based on antibody checks, regardless of the totally different lockdown methods.
In different developments:
- The variety of individuals who have died with the virus globally reached 900,000
- Health Secretary Matt Hancock stated new rules banning social gatherings of more than six people will not be kept in place “any longer than we have to”
- Public well being officers have ordered the closure of the Southampton International Boat Show, the day earlier than 20,000 guests had been anticipated to reach on the metropolis’s seafront
- Northern Ireland is imposing new restrictions on visiting other households in selected areas from subsequent week
- And Scotland has also limited gatherings to a maximum of six people, as First Minister Nicola Sturgeon stated the unfold of the virus was accelerating
- Musician and DJ Sister Bliss from Faithless has said UK nightclubs have been “left to rot in a corner” with out help throughout the pandemic
- The authorities has published its coronavirus guidance for universities forward of scholars returning later this month, with full on-line studying solely as a final resort
- The disruption to hospitals in England throughout the pandemic has meant the variety of sufferers going through lengthy waits for routine operations has soared, new figures show